Chikungunya occurs in Africa, the Americas, Asia, the Carribbean, the Pacific Islands and the Indian subcontinent. Additional information about chikungunya cases is available on the Pan American Health Organization’s website.
- Caribbean and Americas: Since December 2013, confirmed cases of chikungunya have been reported on many islands in the Caribbean. Local transmission of the virus has also spread to countries in Central and South America and Florida in the United States. These cases mark the first time that locally acquired transmission of chikungunya has been detected in the region of the Americas. Outbreaks within these Caribbean regions are ongoing with over 900,000 suspected and confirmed cases.
- France: In October of this year, 11 locally acquired transmitted cases of chikungunya were reported in Montpellier, a city in southern France. This is the first time that locally acquired transmission of chikungunya has been reported in the country since 2010.
- Pacific Islands: Outbreaks of chikungunya are ongoing in American Samoa, French Polynesia, Samoa and Tokelau.Local transmission of chikungunya is now being reported in other countries in the Caribbean. As of October 21, 2014, the following Caribbean countries have reported cases of chikungunya:
Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten(Dutch), Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands.
Several other countries have reported cases in individuals who have traveled to some of these affected areas.
Higher % of active ingredient provide longer protection. Use products with the following active ingredients:
- DEET (Products containing DEET include Off!, Cutter, Sawyer, and Ultrathon)
- Picaridin (also known as KBR 3023, Bayrepel, and icaridin products containing picaridin include Cutter Advanced, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus, and Autan [outside the US])
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or PMD (Products containing OLE include Repel and Off! Botanicals)
- IR3535 (Products containing IR3535 include Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition and SkinSmart)